18 fishermen escape Arakan Army capture and return home


Published: 02:38 12 September 2025
18 fishermen who were captured by Myanmar's armed group Arakan Army while fishing in the sea off St. Martin's Island in Cox's Bazar have finally returned home. They risked their lives and escaped with a trawler. The police handed them over to their families on Thursday night.
The fishermen had been missing since last Tuesday. They reached Teknaf's Shahparir Island jetty in a trawler yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. The Coast Guard rescued them and handed them over to the police.
According to the descriptions of the returning fishermen, the Arakan Army chased and captured five trawlers of Bangladeshi fishermen on Tuesday evening. These trawlers were being taken towards Myanmar at gunpoint. 18 of the captured fishermen were in the same trawler. At one stage, when the Arakan Army speedboat moved ahead, the fishermen quickly turned the trawler around and escaped taking advantage of the darkness.
Fisherman Dil Mohammad said, “There were two members of the Arakan Army in our trawler. When we tried to turn the trawler around and escape, they jumped into the sea and swam towards Myanmar.”
The trawler in which the fishermen returned home is owned by Mohammad Hasan of Shahparir Island. He is the president of the local trawler owners’ association. Mohammad Hasan said, “There were 10 fishermen in my trawler. Later, the Arakan Army picked up eight more there. Fortunately, they were able to escape under the cover of darkness.”
Teknaf Model Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Abu Zayed Md. Nazmun Noor said that 18 fishermen were handed over to the police from the custody of the Coast Guard. Later, after verification, they were returned to their families. During this time, a bond was also taken on the condition that they would not go fishing near Myanmar waters again.
Advertisement
Most Readed - National
- Emraan Hashmi is coming back with 'Jannat', 'Jannat 3' is coming
- Jamaat has adopted the characteristics of Awami League: Rashed Khan
- 600 students leave hostel in India over 'ghost scare', doctors have different explanations
- Government's 180-day 'honeymoon period' over, now time for visible results: Education Minister
- It may take two years to overcome the gas crisis, says Commerce Minister to build infrastructure
- Jaya Ahsan in Kolkata's Rajpath procession, discussion and criticism on social media
- 'Well done Bangladesh Cricket Team' says Jamaat Amir
- Is it possible to determine gender with a testosterone test? Find out what science says
- North Korean soldiers enter the border, South Korea fires warning shots
- Announcement of free education for women up to honors, PM's message of new opportunities in higher education
- Corruption in Tk 1,500-crore ‘Sufal’ project: ACC raids and summons documents at the Forest Department
- The story of grandmother's sacrifice behind Lamine Yamal's success, how her life changed
- Housewife dies of electrocution while cooking rice on magic stove
- Jamaat is not a party of angels, we too can make mistakes: Opposition leader
- Chief Prosecutor hopes to complete all investigations into July massacres within a year
- Miraj is on the verge of losing the captaincy, who will get the new responsibility?
- Deep depression churns Bay of Bengal, heavy rains forecast across country
- 'A dog cannot bark with a bone in its mouth': Naseeruddin Shah takes a dig at Bollywood's silence
- International DJ Sanjay Dev to perform on Dhaka stage today
- BNP's long movement has been successful in the July mass uprising: Rizvi




