Police clash with protesters in Karwan Bazar!

Photo: Collected

Published: 01:48 22 January 2025
The capital's Karwan Bazar intersection was rocked by protests by workers going abroad who were unable to go to Malaysia within the specified time despite paying money. The sit-in program, which began on Wednesday morning, took a tense turn before noon.
Police removed the protesters from the road at around 11:10 am. At that time, a scuffle broke out between the police and the protesters.
Recruiting agents failed to issue visas to 18,000 workers who had promised to go to Malaysia on a calling visa on May 31 last year. In protest, these workers took to the road under a banner titled 'Mahasabesh and Sit-in Program'.
The participants in the protest said that they could not go to Malaysia despite paying an average of 5 lakh taka for visas and job guarantees. Meanwhile, they claim that the money has not been refunded from the recruiting agents yet.
One protester said, "We could not go to Malaysia even after paying 5 lakh taka. We have to go on loan, my family is in great trouble. We have to make arrangements to go to Malaysia by January. We are also demanding a meeting with the Chief Adviser Dr. Muhammad Yunus.”
Traffic jams occurred on both sides of the road due to the protests. The protesters raised various slogans to demand their demands. However, the situation came under control after the police intervened.
No official statement has been received from any recruiting agent or the administration regarding this yet.
Advertisement
Most Readed - National
- Dr. Asif Nazrul: A Comprehensive Biography from Childhood to the July Uprising and the Interim Government
- Saif-Kiara to pair up for the first time in a supernatural thriller
- Gas crisis halts production in several factories in Ashulia, fears of layoffs
- Presidential election is being held within the framework of a fascist system: Nahid Islam
- Glenn Maxwell is the father of a daughter, the daughter is named Maiya
- Araghchi's strong reaction to Trump's 'economic war', calls it a 'diversion tactic'
- Indian High Commissioner expresses grief over death of seven Bangladeshis in Kolkata fire
- There is no fertilizer crisis in the country, chaos planned: Agriculture Minister
- Ashes concert postponed in Kishoreganj due to objections from imams and ulamas
- Dipu Moni's husband's funeral and burial after parole decision
- Corruption in Tk 1,500-crore ‘Sufal’ project: ACC raids and summons documents at the Forest Department
- Jamaat is not a party of angels, we too can make mistakes: Opposition leader
- Housewife dies of electrocution while cooking rice on magic stove
- Chief Prosecutor hopes to complete all investigations into July massacres within a year
- Deep depression churns Bay of Bengal, heavy rains forecast across country
- Miraj is on the verge of losing the captaincy, who will get the new responsibility?
- 'A dog cannot bark with a bone in its mouth': Naseeruddin Shah takes a dig at Bollywood's silence
- Police-public clash over Delhi protests, internet suspended and metro services suspended
- Romance with Shakib was comforting: Sabila Noor
- Arijit Singh protests student protests, questions administration's role




